Thursday, June 17, 2010

Well, an entire semester has passed by. Whoosh, just like that.

Last night was our screening night at the Rivoli. It was a fun evening, it's always interesting watching everyone's films. Unexpectedly, our film picked up a couple of awards which was a nice surprise.

It's been an intense semester, particularly the pre-production and shooting of our 16mm film. However, in some ways I have found that this semester wasn't as stressful as last year. Maybe that's just because coming back to a course after having completed a year, you know what's expected, you have that experience behind you. Even though the projects are harder, you're doing it with a year's experience.

I've enjoyed this semester. My favourite subject turned out to be Directing. Mainly because it exposed a lot of the acting world to me and taught me a lot. Plus it was always engaging and interesting.

So where am I now? I'm on holidays. Sort of. By that I mean, I'm not at uni for a while, but I don't want to look at it as a holiday. It's important to keep momentum going, to keep working hard.

Some things I'm into at the moment:

TV

'Misfits'
The premise of this show doesn't sound all that appealing necessarily - it's basically like 'Skins' meets 'Heroes'. But the writing on this is excellent, every episode explores the characters further while developing an interesting narrative arc. Yes, the characters have powers, a bit like 'Heroes', a bit like 'X-Men'. But it's not really about the powers as such, instead they're simply narrative devices used to explore the character.

'The Inbetweeners'
Extremely funny, well written sit-com. It doesn't feel all that original and yet it still feels very fresh. Simon Bird is excellent in the central role but this show is very much about the dynamic between the characters. Yes, another 'Skins' comparison, but this show feels like 'Skins' except played purely for laughs.

'Community'
If you're not watching this, why not? Best U.S. sit-com for a little while, well, maybe this and '30 Rock'. I like Abed and Senor Chang the best.


MUSIC

The National - High Violet
I really liked The National's last album 'Boxer'. This one is good too, probably not as many hooks as 'Boxer', but still a very solid album.

Hot Chip - One Life Stand
An infectious album. Every song is great. 'I Feel Better' was stuck in my head for days.


RADIO

These three are making me laugh consistently. Track them down.
Hancock's Half Hour
Adam and Joe
Knowing Me, Knowing You





No comments:

Post a Comment